I’ve started to make a list of places I’ve wanted to visit in the world for quite some time now. Some of the places have emotional ties, some of them I’ve just always dreamed about. Since the starting of this blog, I’ve slowly been compiling a “Life List”, or a list of all the things I want to do and places I want to go. These 5 locations made it to the top of the list.
1. Madeira, Portugal – Oh Madeira, the little island off the coast of Portugal…While I was studying abroad in London, I almost went to Madeira. No one wanted to come with me, and I should have just gone by myself, but at the time I didn’t think it was a good idea. Looking back on it, I should’ve just gone alone. My boyfriend is Portuguese and his family is from Madeira, so I’ve always longed to see the place his grandparents grew up. It’s also amazingly beautiful and I’ve longed to go to a place where I can hear people speak Portuguese all day. It’s the most beautiful language!
2. Maldives – If Johnny and I ever get married, we’re going to the Maldives for the honeymoon. Well… even if we don’t get married, I’m still going. End. Of. Story. I’ve always been fascinated by these tiny islands, the little bungalows on the water, and the bright sunny skies. I know it’s ridiculously expensive, but it’s one of the places I have to go to one in my life. Whenever I feel sad or down, I just look at pictures of the Maldives and I instantly feel better. A picture of the Maldives is the desktop wallpaper of my work computer too :). It’s absolute paradise.
3. Côte d’Ivoire, Africa – When I was in 3rd grade, our class had pen pals with a class in Côte d’Ivoire. Ever since then, it has been on my list of places I have to go to. I remember being so excited when we would get our new letters. The students would send pictures, and they were all just so beautiful. I was obsessed with the French influence of the country and how the students actually spoke French. It was one of the reasons why I decided to take French in high school. I know that it’s not safe to go to Côte d’Ivoire now due to political unrest, but I hope one day I’ll be able to visit the place I’ve dreamed about since 3rd grade.
4. Buenos Aires, Argentina – Johnny and I almost decided to go to Argentina over Thailand. There were a lot of reasons we wanted to go to Argentina. We want to learn Spanish. We both want to learn how to tango. I want to go because people call it the Paris of South America…and so far Paris is my favorite city I’ve been to. There’s good food, booming night life, gorgeous architecture. I think after I get back from Thailand and get ready to plan my RTW trip, Buenos Aires will be the first place I go.
5. Stockholm, Sweden – Fashion is something I’m really passionate about. Most of the amazing street fashion seems to come out of Stockholm, and it’s originally what sparked my interest in going. Just Googling “Stockholm Street Fashion” brings up dozens of sites. The people always look so laid back and so put together, I just want to jump in all of their closets and steal their clothes. It’s also the headquarters for H&M (SCORE!) Not only to the people and their fashion sense interest me, I’ve read about the many parks, the beautiful architecture, and the cleanliness of the city. Seems like a place I could just have a coffee and people watch all day long.
This list is constantly growing and changing. But these places all hold a place in my heart for different reasons. What are some places you’ve always dreamed of going?
pictures – creative commons, flickr