My Top 10 Inspiring Travel Quotes

Since I have a few months before my big trip to Argentina, I’ve been finding solace in looking at gorgeous travel photos and inspiring quotes to post around my house. My wanderlust has reached a fever pitch now that I’m not in the office. Keeping little notes and pictures around the house (even though I’m moving), helps to keep me motivated and focused on the big picture. Sometimes, I lose sight of what is important and a beautiful picture or quote is just the thing to snap me back to reality.

“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” Oscar Wilde

“Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” Fitzhugh Mullan

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” Saint Augustine

“I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey

“When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.” Susan Heller

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

“Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” Frank Herbert

“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” Jawaharial Nehru

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost

And my all time favorite:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”  Mark Twain

This was the quote that helped me make the decision to leave my soul sucking job and focus on what truly makes me happy.  I couldn’t imagine myself a few years down the line still so miserable. So, thanks Mark Twain. You’re awesome.

What are some of your favorite travel quotes? Let me know in the comments :)

images via

35 Comments on My Top 10 Inspiring Travel Quotes

1. Emily
    May 2, 2011 at 9:10 am (3 years ago)

“I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life…to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” ~Henry David Thoreau

Not specific to travel, but I equate travel with sucking the marrow out of life.

May 2, 2011 at 10:43 am (3 years ago)

I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing!

2. Patricia GW
    May 3, 2011 at 11:55 am (3 years ago)

“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark

May 3, 2011 at 1:18 pm (3 years ago)

YAY! I love that feeling…and you’ll be feeling it soon in Paris!

3. Romana
    May 5, 2011 at 1:17 am (3 years ago)

Mark Twain’s quote is my favourite one too :) Every time I read it I feel energized.

4. Ceri
    May 23, 2011 at 7:39 am (3 years ago)

I love those quotes. Just fabulous. :D

Some that inspire me:

“The beauty of this country is becoming part of me. I feel more detached from life and somehow gentler. … I have some good friends here, but no one who really understands why I am here or what I do. I don’t know of anyone, though, who would have more than a partial understanding; I have gone too far alone. I have always been unsatisfied with life as most people live it. Always I want to live more intensely and richly.” – Everett Ruess

“There’s a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished dues-payers of our towns that it’s better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience – living the dream – than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one’s passions.” – Aron Ralston

5. Amy (Australasia Dreaming)
    August 22, 2011 at 3:33 am (3 years ago)

It’s not exactly *about* travel, but it’s why I travel:

“Some people live more in twenty years than others do in forty. It’s not the time, it’s the person” – Doctor Who

6. Dana
    April 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm (2 years ago)

“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a woman* than a secure future. The very basic core of a woman’s* living spirit is her* passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”
    — Christopher McCandless

7. Jessica Elizabeth
    May 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm (2 years ago)

always has and always will be my favorite…and probably more like my motto for life: “Not all who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks for sharing your top ten, your top two (M.Twain &R.Frost) are two of my favorites as well, and have them painted in bright colors on canvases in my studio

8. Sabrina B.
    August 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm (2 years ago)

Love these! My all time favorite though is “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for” -John A. Shedd (This applies because i’m only 17 but went on a service trip to Guatemala…neadless to say my mom wasn’t too happy about it….).

9. Lucy Sampson
    September 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm (2 years ago)

Planning a trip to study abroad in Europe, not exactly sure where, but I love this quote:

“Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”
    Helen Keller

September 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm (2 years ago)

omg. Studying abroad in Europe will change your life. I’m a firm believer that my study abroad trip to London changed the entire course of my life. DO it!

10. Nicole
    November 4, 2012 at 12:50 am (2 years ago)

Another one from Mark Twain is a favorite of mine:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need to sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one littler corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

11. Nicole
    November 4, 2012 at 12:52 am (2 years ago)

Argh – I had some typos in the original post.

Another one from Mark Twain is a favorite of mine:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.”

November 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm (2 years ago)

I LOVE THIS!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

12. Logan
    January 2, 2013 at 1:41 am (2 years ago)

I like that you chose that Mark Twain quote as your all time favorite. I have been travelling since graduating college and actually got that quote tattooed on my right side while living in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. All the best to you!

January 3, 2013 at 9:37 am (2 years ago)

Hi Logan! All the best to you too! The Mark Twain quote is the best!

13. Marla
    March 1, 2013 at 11:50 am (2 years ago)

“Only from the heart can you touch the sky.” -Rumi

14. Haley
    March 11, 2013 at 3:48 am (2 years ago)

I’m fairly certain this single post just changed my life. I tend to only think of myself as a broke college student longing for meaning in my life. All I want is to travel the world, and these few quotes give me hope that I can. Thank you so much for sharing!

March 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so happy you find the post! I hope, and know! that all of your dreams will come true!

15. Travel Blogs
    April 23, 2013 at 9:59 am (1 year ago)

We can’t buy happiness but we can buy a plane ticket…….and that’s pretty damn close.
    Nick from OE TRAVEL BLOGS

April 25, 2013 at 1:09 pm (1 year ago)

I LOOOOOVE it! Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Ash
    June 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm (1 year ago)

I was searching for wanderlust quotes when I stumbled across this blog post. These quotes are so incredibly inspiring.

Recently I have been trying to make the decision on whether I should move interstate for university (I live in Australia) or even internationally. I feel bored and like my life is going nowhere where I am. I’m only 18, but these are the years I should really take advantage of and explore all the world has to offer. And this post has really made me feel pumped to do that.

So thank you for these quotes! I shouldn’t let the fear of going off into the world alone frighten me – and I’m suddenly very excited! :)

June 9, 2013 at 9:00 pm (1 year ago)

ahh thank so much! Don’t be afraid!

17. Farrah
    July 3, 2013 at 1:34 am (1 year ago)

“It s in all of us to defy expectations. To go into the world and be brave and to want, to need, to hunger for adventures. To embrace change and chance and risk so that we may breathe and know what it is to be free.”

July 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm (1 year ago)

Love it!

18. Marco
    July 28, 2013 at 10:51 am (1 year ago)

I really enjoyed your traveling quotes they got me excited.
    Like the other person up top I am also studying abroad in Spain in a couple months so quotes like these keep me motivated and focused
    These are my favorite quotes. :)
    “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.”
    “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.”
    “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
    “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.”

19. Shar-Lee
    August 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm (1 year ago)

I love the heading “wanderlust project” And “quarter life crisis” because i feel like it speaks directly to me. I’ve always had the incurable wanderlust but my pockets couldn’t afford it, in February this year I had a “quarter life crisis” (being 25) and I just said to hell with it and sold everything I had, booked a plane ticket not knowing what would happen and took the skies, I have since been to 7 different countries and counting. Embracing the wanderlust has been the best thing I have ever done…and so many doors have opened since then. Now I can actually afford to wander around…lol.

My favorite quote which I happened upon while waiting in an airport:

“A spirit in my feet said go, and I went.” ~ Matthew Brady

August 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Shar-Lee!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment, you totally made my day! Do you happen to have a blog where I can follow your adventures? I’d love to read all about it!

20. pauljnel
    September 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm (1 year ago)

Awesome and so sweet.life is a journey…enjoooy the potholes

21. UCHENDU
    October 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm (1 year ago)

charm and beauty so good

22. danderson
    November 7, 2013 at 6:25 am (12 months ago)

Some must stoke the fires at home,
    Some more are born the world to roam;
    And though I dearly love the nest,
    My wings must stretch, the air to test,
    I must catch the wind and stretch to float,
    Even if my sail be just my coat.
    I surge like seed to find that door
    And wander asking not for more –
    Than travel in its open stead –
    The sky my feed, the world my bed.
    d.a.

23. Ixchel Tucker
    February 1, 2014 at 10:04 am (9 months ago)

“The best travel plan gives you a good idea of where you are going with the flexibility to adapt to changes on the road.” ~ Nomadic Matt

“Whether traveling far and abroad or close to home, the magic of the land has the power to open doorways and perceptions, and when you return you will most certainly be changed.” ~ Ixchel Tucker

“Make Friends, Not Enemies” ~ Sheryll

By the way, Sheryll, I want to know all about your trip to Argentina. I’m organizing one of my tours there and I haven’t yet been. I have a great co-leader who lives there, and I am so excited to know more about the country. I love your writing!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on My Top 10 Inspiring Travel Quotes

1. [...] at: http://thewanderlustproject.com/2011/05/top10quotes/ 41.308916 -92.647615 Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]