6 Years and 4 Weeks

by Sheryll on February 28, 2012

raindrops effected 6 Years and 4 Weeks

It’s been awhile since I’ve written a personal post, so I just wanted to let you know what’s going on in my world.

Johnny is currently flying somewhere over Russia, on his way to Seoul, South Korea….with a 15 hour layover in the Beijing Airport. Eek! It’s been about 3 weeks since I’ve seen him last, and it’ll be another 4 before we see each other again. I’m missing him like crazy.

Today is our 6 year anniversary. It’s so wonderful to have someone like him in my life. There’s not too many people that would quit their job and travel through Europe with their girlfriend…then move to South Korea for a year. It’s great having someone that wants to travel the world, who also agrees we don’t need to rush into a marriage and/or kids, who’s just a great listener, lover, and friend. I’m a lucky, lucky, lucky, girl.

I don’t think we’ve ever spent this day apart from each other, so it’s especially tough. But I know that these next 4 weeks are going to fly by. Especially with all the stuff I have to do.

Things I need to do:
1. Finish my damn TEFL certification. 50% finished!
2. Send in my Visa application (doing this today)
3. Send in my tax Residence certificate
4. Get my hair trimmed
5. Narrow down what to pack (sigh)
6. Buy deodorant, bras, tampons, jeans
7. Learn Hangul
8. Learn about Kpop stars and Korean dramas
9. Spend as much time with my 6 year old niece as possible

Alabama is definitely no Los Angeles or Paris, but it’s been nice to have some down time with my family. My dad’s cooking is amazing, and I’m always being bombarded with some sort of new recipe or cake or pie. I have lunch dates with my mom. I have a free gym membership because my older sister is an instructor, and my 6 year old niece tells me that she won’t be my friend anymore if I don’t smell her feet. All in all, things are going great.

Just 4 more weeks and I’ll be in South Korea. As I sit here in my PJs and pull my hair out over lesson plans, try to learn about Kpop stars and Korean dramas, and work on my Hangul, I realize I’m incredibly blessed. I can’t believe that I’m doing this. Just a year ago, I was a depressed, emotional eating, trainwreck. I just got back from Europe, and now I’m moving to Korea.

As Jay and Kanye say…that shit cray.

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel February 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

Where will you be in Korea? I’m living in Incheon. Good luck getting ready and congrats on being in such a great relationship!

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Hi Rachel! I’ll be in Korea at the beginning of April. I’ll be in Yongin, about 45 minutes south of Seoul. We should meet up!

Jaime February 28, 2012 at 3:56 am

Congrats on the 6 years… sorry y’all can’t be together, but you will be in 4 weeks and that time will fly by. You will be in Korea before you know it. I may be visiting Korea before heading home… so if I do I will let ya know. Enjoy the down time for now… & also congrats on getting the job in Korea.

xoxo

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Thank you darling! <3 you so much!

Jen February 28, 2012 at 4:02 am

Ahhh gutted you and Johnny aren’t together today, but it will be so amazing when you are. You must be getting really excited now for South Korea – I can’t wait to read the posts on it! x

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I am super excited! Once I finish this TEFL certification, I’ll feel like I can breathe.

Monica February 28, 2012 at 4:14 am

Sounds like you’re a busy lady! Congrats on your 6 years together – you sound so happy :D And best of luck with the rest of your TEFL course!

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Thank you Monica! <3 <3!

Annie February 28, 2012 at 4:34 am

Love it!! :) Six years is a long time and I think it’s amazing all the things that you two have done together (and that’s just what I know from the blog!).

Get your TEFL done and get to Korea! :)

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

YES! I have 30 days, counting down now!

Elaine February 28, 2012 at 5:19 am

YAY!!! I know you will love it here!! I just moved to S. Korea a little over a week ago and it’s awesome ;D I know you will finish everything in time. Don’t fret about the hangul . . . it’s pretty easy and you’ll learn it in less than a couple of days. Plus, if you watch a couple of dramas, you will most likely pick up the basics like the greetings/goodbyes, thank you, I’m sorry, etc. I hope you really enjoy K-pop too! I don’t know if you know about Big Bang (very popular K-pop band), but they are coming back with a new album tomorrow! So, you may want to check it out ;D

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

OMG! Where are you in S. Korea? I’ll be in Yongin, 45 minutes south of Seoul. Let’s meet up! I’m loving Kpop! The guys in Big Bang are hot!!! lol!

Elaine March 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’m in Guri-si, which is NE of Seoul. And, yes, let’s definitely meet up! Lol, yea Big Bang is awesome [love sigh].

D.J. - The World of Deej February 28, 2012 at 6:23 am

Congrats on the anniversary, but also working through this time apart. I can’t really function when my wife leaves for an overnight trip, much less being apart nearly 2 months! Look forward to keeping up with your adventures in SK

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

omg it’s been the worst. He’s like my best friend, so there’s just so many things I have to tell him about everyday…and it’s weird not having him around. But I have just 30 more days to go! I can do it!

Anthony February 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Congrats and keep living the Dream!!

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Thank you Anthony!

ashley February 28, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I have a good friend who just wrapped up a year teaching in South Korea and is going for her second year. Here’s her blog: http://heartmindnseoul.tumblr.com/

She might have some good advice for ya! :)

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

omg thank you so much Ashley! Your friends blog is wonderful, I spent the entire night reading through it. Thank you!

Ayngelina February 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

I had no idea this was in the plans for you – congratulations. I have never been to Korea but I’m sure it will be an adventure!

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Thank you Ayngelina! This just means you’ll have to come visit and drink soju outside of 711 with me…hahaha!

Kent @ No Vacation Required February 29, 2012 at 8:54 am

Congrats to you two! Yes, the 4 weeks will fly by.

I hope we hear more about that food (cakes! pies!) you reference :)

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

omg food. yes. more and more food!

Chinyeloves February 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Congratulations on the new journey that is to come!

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Thank you!

Ceri March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Oh, hunni, you’re going to have the most amazing year. You really will. I know it. Even though you and Johnny are about now, it’s in preparation for something truly wonderful.

Sheryll March 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm

You are the best! <3 <3

Yeonju Song March 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

wow, this is amazing.
i encountered your blog while searching for some traveling information.
since then, i’ve read your postings from time to time. i’ve found them very enjoyable and inspring.
now i’m amazed you’re coming to korea!
i live in yongin near to seoul.
i’m confident you’ll have such a great time here!
welcome to korea! :)

Sheryll March 6, 2012 at 3:28 am

HI! Thank you so much for your comment! I’m actually moving to Yongin at the beginning of April. My boyfriend is already there. I’d totally love to meet you when I get to S. Korea!