Further proof that I live in the middle of nowhere: McDonald’s won’t deliver to me. Even though there is a new one near Dankook University. They just don’t understand where I live. No one understands. I called the Korean tourism hotline for information about a bus route near my apartment, and she swore up and down that Cheongdeok doesn’t exist. Even though I live and teach here. Story of my life.

Why am I even talking about how I want to eat McDonald’s anyway? What is it about McDonald’s in Korea that is completely irresistible? Winter is turning me into a hibernating bear that only wants to eat chocolate and burgers all day. And I’ve still somehow managed to lose 6 pounds. Not sure how that’s possible…. As I sit on my couch, drinking a beer and eating leftover Pepero from Pepero Day.

As I’m sure you know already, it’s pretty much winter in Korea. It snowed in Seoul last night. I’m not ready! I don’t even have a proper winter coat. Or gloves. Or earmuffs. Or the heat packs my students keep throwing at each other. This weekend Johnny and I are going on a mission to finally get everything we need to survive this winter: coats, long johns, fleece tights for me, heaters and/or electric blankets, and TONS of food. I’m also going to hit up the cosmetic stores for some nail polish, hand lotion, body wash, and anything else I see. I randomly have an extra fridge, and I’m going to Costo this weekend to stock up on food and liquor. Since I’ll be spending roughly 94% of my time in my apartment this winter, I’m working on making my apartment as cozy, warm, and inviting as possible. I’m going to get some Christmas lights, candles, extra blankets. I’ve downloaded movies, and all 6 seasons of Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I also want to make a mini bar in my apartment. That’s the true key to survival. Mini bars and Christmas lights.

Last week, I got sick for the first time in Korea. Just a minor cold, but enough to keep me in bed all last weekend. I consider that a success, and partially attribute it to the fact that I work with middle school kids who never touch me. Johnny’s been sick way more frequently, and he works in an elementary school. Another check mark in the YES column for middle school!

My birthday is in about 2 and a half weeks! I can’t believe it. I was in Paris for my birthday last year, and this year I’ll be celebrating in Seoul with my friends and massive amounts of wine and champagne. Classy bitches! One of my students also asked me what kind of cake I like….if my students actually get me a cake, I may cry. They’re my sweethearts!

In other random news, I found out that I’ve become allergic to rice. Can you believe that? Allergic to rice! I noticed a couple of weeks ago that everyday after lunch I’d feel miserable. Bloated, gross, and it just felt like I wasn’t digesting my food properly at all.  Apparently it happens when people who don’t eat a lot of rice, start to eat tons of rice, and they build up a toxicity to it, and stop digesting it correctly. As a result, I had to cancel my school lunches, which is a good and bad thing. It’s a GREAT thing because now I can eat whatever I want, and it’s bad because it’s much more expensive to buy extra food for my lunches everyday. It’s also bad because WTF I’m allergic to rice?! I told my students and they looked at me like I sprouted a tail.

Also, if you are looking for delicious tea, Shinsegae sells Nina’s Paris tea. I bought the flavors Hepburn, which is orange, chocolate and creme, and Je t’aime, which is vanilla and caramel. They are both incredible and really comforting. Coffee makes me feel like I want to die, so tea and I are sweet besties. I love to buy macarons from my favorite cafe in Jukjeon and eat them with my tea for dessert.

This weekend is going to be filled with delicious food, new cafes, shopping, and the GSP fight. Johnny and I are waking up early and making the trek to Itaewon early Sunday morning to watch the fight live. GSP is my favorite fighter, so I wouldn’t miss it for the world!

This post is a big clusterfuck of random shit, but…yea. It’s what I felt like talking about today. WERK!

9 Comments on Ramblings from a girl who wishes McDonald’s would deliver to her but she lives in the boonies

1. wintersundays
    November 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome post!I love how you have a strategy for hibernating. It snowed the other night here in New York and I was scrambling to find my gloves. I will def keep your strategy in mind. I’m moving to South Korea to become an EPIK teacher in February so I’ll stay tuned for your winter survival posts! :-)

November 18, 2012 at 9:24 am (2 years ago)

omg. At least you’re in NY and used to the cold weather. My So Cal blood is like HELL NO GIRL WTF IS THIS SHIT?! Apparently the worst is Mid December through February…so..I’ll definitely be making some tips to survive!

• wintersundays
        November 19, 2012 at 3:21 am (2 years ago)

Ha!! Who knows? Maybe you’ll become a Snow Bunny instead of hibernating! :-)
        Looking forward to your tips! Even after all these years in NY still haven’t mastered avoiding super dry winter skin. Ugh. The only thing that ever worked for me was the now discontinued Neutrogena Emulsion.

2. Jenny
    November 15, 2012 at 1:13 am (2 years ago)

Oh…..well now I know why I was feeling miserable so often after eating when I was in Seoul :D anyway, have fun shopping! And show us what you bought? :3

November 18, 2012 at 9:23 am (2 years ago)

will do! I went to The Face Shop and bought a ton of stuff, and I also FINALLY have a new winter down coat. I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to find one!

3. Tom @ Waegook Tom
    November 15, 2012 at 10:44 am (2 years ago)

Allergic to rice?! That’s completely bizarre, Sheryll! I’m surprised I didn’t get the same thing as I rarely used to eat it in the UK apart from when I’d get Chinese or Indian takeaway.

I LOVE winter in Korea, though. Maybe due to my excessive body hair, or as my students like to call it, my “fur”. They do this to tease me. We’ll see who’s laughing when it hits December. Everything is so pretty when it’s covered in snow. Just wait until mid-December for real winter to hit…that’s the harshest time and it’ll last until late January or early February. Brr!

Also, that tea does sound mighty interesting – and yay for Christmas lights! Going to get some to decorate bf’s apartment with, seeing as we never spend any time in my apartment. I’m in my apartment now and it’s my first time here in like 2 weeks! Planning on spending Christmas day holed up with Christmas movies, Christmas music (hey, Mariah!), Baileys, and then eating wherever is open or just cooking a big pot of something good and warming. And champagne for breakfast.

p.s. I love it when people tell you that where you live doesn’t exist. My neighbourhood in Daejeon, Shinseongdong, is so out of the way that nobody knows it exists. People who’ve lived in Daejeon all their life look at me and are like, “are you sure that’s the name?” or, “are you sure you don’t mean Dunsandong?” (err…they sound nothing alike and I WISH I lived in downtown Daejeon!). Le sigh!

November 18, 2012 at 9:22 am (2 years ago)

I love your Christmas day plans!!!! I think I might have to steal that idea. Baileys and champagne and movies sounds PERFECT. I might just have to incorporate that into my weekend routine lol!!!

And I’m also glad you feel the pain of people not knowing where you live. I’m not the only one!

4. Ceri
    January 28, 2013 at 6:00 am (2 years ago)

I love clusterfuck posts of random shit. :D … I know this is like 2 months old but I’m sorry you were sick. :( Boo.

WOW. Allergic to rice? Yikes. I’d never heard of building up a toxicity to it. Although, I discovered I’m allergic to something too! BREAD! Fucking bread!! 0_o … Yeah, I hadn’t eaten it in nearly a year but then when I started eating it again, I noticed that it was making my asthma worse. Jesus.

5. Kt Brigman
    December 28, 2013 at 11:13 am (11 months ago)

I haven’t even finished this blog posting yet and I saw you mention GSP and I was like “OH MY GOD OH MY GOD which fight is she talking about” as I traced all the GSP fights backward in my head. He’s my God, my ultimate favorite being on this planet. Humble and a great fighter…UH-MAZZZZE balls! I’ve been reading your blog and a few others because I plan on traveling to Korea to teach English but also because I’m an anthropologist so I’ve been researching…every time I read about a connection you made with your kids I seriously basically cry hahah