Let it Snow

If you live in Korea, or if you don’t, but follow me on Instagram or read my tweets, you’ll know that it has been snowing all week in Korea. An insane amount of snow. More snow than I have ever seen in my whole life. My students have lost their minds and are barely paying attention in class, running outside after their final exams to throw snowballs at each other, to make snow angels and snowmen.

And yes, as a Southern California native, the snow was amazing at first. Crisp, blindingly white, soft. My whole neighborhood turned into a monochromatic winter wonderland. Johnny and I played in the snow after work a few days ago and failed at an attempt to make a snowman (he did make an awesome snow angel). We couldn’t stop talking about how it all looked fake, like someone at Disney World took some of the foam snow stuff they put on the trees there and sprayed it everywhere.

But, it must also be known that snow is a HOT ASS MESS.

Being completely and utterly naive as to how snow works, I thought that once it snowed, it just…melted away. I thought I’d wake up this morning and everything would be back to normal. I didn’t realize it just STAYS there.

And from what I understand, up North (in the US), and in places it snows a lot, there’s salt trucks and stuff out immediately, clearing the roads and making them safe to walk/drive.

Yeah….not so much here. Or at least in my little neighborhood.

Snow is coming up to my ankles in some areas. The roads are so icy, I saw two cars slide across the intersection this morning. I almost died at least 12 times walking to school today. My coteachers said it took them 5 hours to get home Wednesday night, after they abandoned their cars and walked home.

Yes, the scenery is gorgeous. The sound of my shoes in the snow is awesome. I love the way it feels. I love how it glitters in the sunlight. I like to LOOK at it. That’s about it. This shit is a mess and I’m already over it. BRING BACK SPRING!

Johnny and I are already planning an amazing sleepover weekend. He’s staying at my place and we’re going to watch movies, read, play games, eat, and watch the UFC and¬†Pacquiao fights Sunday afternoon. It’s just too cold and snowy to do anything else! Not to mention the roads are so bad in my area, buses are barely running, and the closest subway stop is a 20 minute bus ride away.

Thank goodness for tea, hot chocolate, my Kindle, and the super fast internet that allows me to watch as much TV as I want. Now, if only I could fast forward through Winter, that’d be nice.

11 Comments on Let it Snow

1. Rebecca
    December 7, 2012 at 10:19 am (2 years ago)

Can so relate to you regarding snow! I spent my “semester abroad” at UMass/Amherst and it snowed so early and so much the semester I was there, I loved it! Mainly because I knew in December I was coming back to LA and NOT GOING BACK! All my friends there got a kick when I told them that in LA, a common question/answer in January is “What are you doing this weekend? Oh, we’re going to the snow”.

Bundle up!

December 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm (2 years ago)

YES! You know exactly what I mean. Except, I have many more months left to endure. And I’m staying a 2nd year here, so I’ll have to deal with it all over again. SIGH!

2. April D. Thompson
    December 7, 2012 at 6:36 pm (2 years ago)

And THIS is why I retreat to Jamaica for the winter. After 2 years of Michigan cold, snow and gloominess, I was done! Be glad you don’t have to shovel a car out as well. But alas, it’s only temporary. Stay warm! :-)

December 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks April! I’m all cozy in my warm apartment. I went outside today to play in the snow, but that was short lived. My warm LA blood couldn’t take it!

3. wintersundays
    December 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm (2 years ago)

Aww, hang in there! The snow does look beautiful though! I love snow. Shoveling snow? Not so much but it is a good workout. Enjoy your sleepover weekend!!

December 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm (2 years ago)

hahahaha! I probably should just randomly shovel snow. My workouts have been non existent since Winter started. I need to start doing some yoga or home workouts lol!

4. Lauren
    December 8, 2012 at 11:12 am (2 years ago)

The worst is when snow turns to ice and you can’t walk anywhere without falling over! I remember one winter I had to slide down a big slope on my bum because if I tried to stand up I’d go sliding into the road!

December 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm (2 years ago)

HHAHAHAHAHA! I can only picture this and it made me laugh SO hard. LOL!!!

5. Tom @ Waegook Tom
    December 10, 2012 at 10:56 am (2 years ago)

Hahaha oh Sheryll! You’ve got this to look forward to until March ;) Well, maybe not snow the whole time, but the temperatures at least. I like it when the snow is on the ground, but when it starts to turn to ice…not a fan. My bf’s apartment is located at the bottom of a hill and I could barely walk down it the other day, ending up falling into a (parked) car and skidding the rest of the way. I wish the snow simply disappeared, I HATE it when it turns to slush and just gets all icky during the tedious melting process. THAT is not cool.

December 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm (2 years ago)

Right?!?!? Also the fact that Korea just doesn’t sand/plow/whatever the fuck the sidewalks here is beyond me. It’s so dangerous! I’ve seen numerous people sliding down hills, sliding into the middle of the street into oncoming traffic, cars sliding everywhere…I don’t understand! The snow is really pretty to look at, but the slush and ice are no bueno.

6. Ceri
    January 28, 2013 at 10:51 am (2 years ago)

Hahahaha. I’ve been getting so jealous of you and everyone back home in the UK experiencing snow but now that I remember what a pain in the arse it can be, I’m glad I’m missing it. At least I know to pack big huge boots for next winter in advance for my time over there! :D