Is a BB Cream the Right Product for You?

I get so many questions about BB creams, and sadly I can’t answer them. I have yet to find a BB cream in Korea, Korean brand or otherwise, that matches my skin tone. I’ve seen darker toned women on YouTube mixing BB creams with their foundations to achieve the right shade, but that just seems like too much work/sort of defeats the purpose of a BB Cream in the first place. So, if you’re on the fence about buying a BB cream, or you aren’t sure what one is in the first place, I have a great guest post by Amanda from SkincareHQ.org. She’ll explain everything to you that I can’t!

BB Creams can be fantastic fix-it-alls, but just like any other beauty product out on the market, there are both pros and cons in using them. You may be wondering if a BB Cream is just what you need, and that is why we have compiled this short article that includes all of the major pros and cons associated with these fantastic creams. Let’s start with the pros.

The Pros

• BB Creams help to smooth out wrinkles, so if have mature skin that causes fine lines or wrinkles, these creams can be a total lifesaver.
  • If you have oily skin, there may be no need to apply a moisturizer as these creams can also be used as one.
  • These creams include an added SPF, so your skin is protected from the sun’s harmful and damaging rays all day long.
  • They help to heal inflammation and redness. This is actually what BB Creams were originally invented for! No joke!
  • They can deliver a gorgeous glow and brighten the skin drastically so that it looks healthy and youthful.
  • You may end up saving you money because BB creams can be used as a tinted moisturizer, concealer, primer, and even a light foundation.
  • Many BB Creams include antioxidants and extra vitamin C, which are great for your skin.
  • BB Creams are designed to glide on your skin easily, allowing for easy blending into the skin. This easy blending also allows for a more natural, flawless look.

The Cons

• Not the best choice for acne prone skin. These creams tend to be on the thicker side, and do not contain any salicylic acid.
  • If you are very fair skinned, the SPF included in BB Creams may not be enough to keep your skin protected, so you may need to add additional sunscreen.
  • Most people will still need to set their BB Cream with a good facial powder for the best results.
  • Can be a little pricey, depending on the exact brand you choose.
  • They’re not available in a wide range of colors.

We hope that our little list helped you out. Even after a ton of research, we found that there are way more pros than cons when it comes to BB Creams. There are a ton of different brands out there which offer slight variations in formula and tone, so a bit of research will find the best one for your own situation. Have you tried a BB Cream and want to tell us all about your personal experience? Write about it in the comments below!

Author Bio: Amanda is a makeup fanatic and author of SkincareHQ.org which features a Guide To BB Cream For Oily Skin. Aside from writing about skin care, Amanda loves to travel and dreams of one day visiting the beaches of Thailand. If you have questions or comments for Amanda, feel free to connect with her @Skincare_HQ on Twitter!

12 Comments on Is a BB Cream the Right Product for You?

1. Stephy
    May 31, 2013 at 2:05 pm (1 year ago)

Nice post! I’m not a massive fan of BB cream. Even though I’m freakishly pale, I never understand why they don’t come in a darker colors…

Also, I have really dry skin all year round, and the BB creams I’ve tried have been way too drying for me. By the end of the day, they tend to show up my dryness really badly, no matter how much moisturizer I slather on! I also think the BB creams in Korea are way too pale as well and they make my face look very washed out. I always stick to a high end foundation like Bobbi Brown or Chanel. Pricey, but I think they are lot better quality and suited to more skin types and colors.

June 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve heard that BB creams are super drying. I know some budget beauty buys are awesome, but I’m a personal believer that expensive foundations/tinted moisturizers are just worth it.

• Audrey
        August 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm (1 year ago)

I live in a very hot and humid country, have very fair and dry skin and my complexion’s been steadily worsening due to what I can conclude be due to BB cream usage. Before I even used BB creams, my complexion was still great and I thankfully don’t need much of any coverage products. Thanks for confirming my suspicions & I’m definitely going to try out tinted moisturisers/foundations instead!

2. adhsty
    May 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm (1 year ago)

This is a very informative post! But I think there’s a lot more pros compared to the cons, and I think it’s still the best invention in make up history lol. I used BB Cream on a daily basis and I have an acne-prone skin, but I think it’s more about finding the right one for you. Etude’s BB Cream seems to break me out more than others do, so I tend to stay away from it. And also some people don’t do proper cleansing even though their consistency is lighter than foundation so it causes some acne problem. But then again BB Cream makes my skin less dull and looks very natural like I have no make up on, so I really love it!

June 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much for your comment! Which brand of BB cream do you use??

• adhsty
        June 10, 2013 at 10:13 pm (1 year ago)

I used Missha’s Perfect Cover BB Cream but right now I’m really loving Skin79 Hot Pink BB Cream! It has better coverage and glowy finish, love it :)

June 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm (1 year ago)

I have heard such rave reviews about Skin79’s BB cream!

3. Coco
    May 31, 2013 at 6:40 pm (1 year ago)

Have you tried CC creams? I heard there’s no color in them, but it will make your skin look luminous and dewey

June 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm (1 year ago)

Hey Coco! I haven’t tried CC creams either…mostly because the ones in Korea are still tinted. CC stands for color corrector so a lot of them are too pink or orange for me. SIGH. I feel like I’m missing out on a whole revolution in makeup!

4. Anna(TastyShoots)
    June 5, 2013 at 11:57 am (1 year ago)

Having super-dry, acne-prone skin, I too have experienced BB’s that REALLY accentuate dryness and lines. The best I’ve found is Skinfood Berry Berry Tea from their Good Afternoon line. (I have Honey Black Tea on order in hopes that it will actually moisturize With occasional spritzes of facial mist it looks natural and feels comfy. I like using their Red Orange stick BB around my eyes since that area is oily (with not-so-fine lines, go figure.) It really sticks with or without setting powder.

June 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm (1 year ago)

ooooooh BB Cream sticks?!?!?!? I’m missing out on everything cryyyyy!!!!

• Anna(TastyShoots)
        June 13, 2013 at 11:38 am (1 year ago)

It really sucks they don’t make darker shades. But I have hope that Korean companies will start to realize how popular they’re becoming outside of Asia- Lioele has a stand-alone store in Texas now!