I’m going to admit something that may be a bit of shock to those that love Korean/Asian beauty.
I used to not be a fan of sheet masks. Like, I’d use them sometimes but never really got into them the way some people did. I just didn’t get it. I’d buy them, and then never really use them. When I left Korea, I gave most of my sheet masks away. I didn’t see the need to bring them to Vietnam because I really just never used them. I KNOW, I KNOW, I CAN HEAR YOUR GASPS FROM HERE. Don’t hate me, for now I am a new woman. A woman who is utterly obsessed with sheet masks.
The shift was caused last year when Charlotte from Sokoglam started the 7 day sheet mask challenge. Rules were simple: use a sheet mask for 7 consecutive days and see the results. Well, I only participated one day on Instagram (because I have yet to master the art of looking cute in a sheet mask), but I quietly kept up with the challenge. It was then that I realized I’d been wrong all this time about sheet masks. They aren’t just an effective way of scaring your loved ones and animals, they actually DO work. And they especially work well if you use them consistently. MAJOR KEY.
The key is consistency. That’s the major mistake I was making with sheet masks. I’d use one every so often, and not really see results, so I wouldn’t really put forth the effort in using them. I’ve noticed that since I’ve started incorporating sheet masks into my nightly routine, my skin is more hydrated, more dewy. It’s the real glow up! Plus I’ve realized that sheet masks are hella fun. I enjoy choosing which one I’m going to use for the night. I love experimenting with different types – coconut gel, regular hydrogel, cotton, silk, etc. Putting on my sheet mask has quickly become the thing I look forward to at night.
But not only have I seen a physical change, I feel like I’ve changed a bit mentally. Using a sheet mask allows me the time to sit still and focus on myself for 20 to 30 minutes. I normally use this time to catch up on a book, or to journal, or to reflect on my day. It’s my meditation period, if you will. After working all day, and battling HCMC traffic to get home, it’s the perfect time for me to center myself. So, I can now say with pride that I totally get the hype about sheet masks, and I’m a true sheet mask lover.
So let me tell you all about the masks that I’m in love with. Like with life, some sheets are shitty, and some are amazing. I usually gravitate towards hydrogels because I like the way they fit, but I use all types!
- Leaders Moisturizing Recovery Mask * – all you need to know is that this has fermented coconut juice in it. Ya’ll know how I feel about all things fermented. Plus it’s free of mineral oil, parabens, and artificial coloring. It feels great on, and the essence is fantastic.
- Dr. Jart Brightening Solution Mask – I love love love the material of this mask. It’s super thin, and adheres to the skin with ease. Plus there is definite noticeable brightening of my skin after I use it!
- Memebox Hydrogel Masks * – These are my general hydrogel go-to. They fit really nicely, and leave the skin plump and hydrated. They’re sold out at the moment though, so check back later to see if they’re back up!
- My Beauty Diary Sake Yeast and My Beauty Diary Royal Jelly – Honestly, you can never really go wrong with My Beauty Diary. All the masks I’ve tried by them have been top notch. The sake yeast and royal jelly ones are my favorites out of the ones I’ve tried so far.
- The Faceshop Intense Brightening Mask Cream Sheet – Girl. GIRL. GIRRRRRRRRRL. I picked these masks up on a whim from The Faceshop at the mall here in HCMC. I was instantly intrigued by the thought of a sheet mask soaked in CREAM. LIKE HELLO PLEASE GET ON MY FACE. And it was love at first use. Literally, it’s a sheet mask covered in lightweight cream. There is so much cream in the package, that you could totally use the rest for your daytime routine the next day. It’s absolutely amazing. It feels so nice on the skin, and is super soothing and rich. I usually use this mask when I’m super tired because I don’t have do my next skincare steps since my skin is already so hydrated. LOVE. Make sure to take the time to really massage the cream into your skin for the best results.
- SKII Facial Treatment Masks – Yes, these are everything people say they are. Yes, they are hella expensive, but you know, you gotta treat yourself sometimes. I bought them as a present for myself at the Narita Airport when I went back home in October. The results after using this mask are instant – bright, glowing, hydrated skin. What’s also great is that there is a lot of essence left in the package, so I normally seal it back up and use it in the mornings. Wins all around!
I have lots of other ones I like, but these were the 6 that stick out in my mind. I just made a huge order of sheet masks from Beautibi.com (aka my new favorite place that I just discovered during the pathway to more sheet mask success), and I can’t wait to try them!
What are your favorite sheet masks? Let me know in the comments!
Full disclosure – the items marked with an (*) were sent to me. As always, reviews and opinions are always honest and my own.